Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reasonably Competent Human Being (RCHB)

I think I am. Not brilliant by any means, but reasonably competent. I base that opinion on my awareness of my logical approach to conclusions. Illogical positions confound me. Now I don't believe there has to be a scientific explanation for everything, in fact logic suggests science can not answer all questions because it is not possible that all science is known today. So, as an RCHB (I saw that term in a book by Jennifer Allan a real estate agent mentor extraordinary person) I'm not perplexed by the real estate market. Nothing is going significantly up in the short term. There are no indicators of UP.

Let's look at interest rates: Interest rates are pretty much at an all time low. Would you say there is a 50/50 chance that rates will go up in the next 60 days? Well, November is coming up and elections are scheduled so do you think we will see interest rates go up? I don't. Would it be logical to conclude the evidence suggests rates will remain stable? I do.

What do we know about home prices and interest rates? Do we agree lower rates do not drive significantly more buyers into all markets. Lower interest rates drive some home owners out of the buyer market and into refinance. And in times when interest rates have been historically low for many months, the majority of buyers who wanted to take advantage of historic rates got in earlier---the pool of buyers who can qualify for the best rates is rather shallow by now. If the number of buyers entering the market doesn't move the needle the competition will remain cool. Right? Right. I thought so.

Do we think more buyers are coming into the market? Maybe. There are always new buyers coming in for one reason or another. What about this: Will more homes be brought to market by distressed sellers and distraught bankers? Yup. Hmmm...supply is going to exceed demand. Rates will be stable. How about jobs? Will unemployment go up or down or sideways? Let's assume it goes down. More people working, more people fully employed might stop the slide of sentiment. That'd be nice. Until more people feel more confident, more patience is going to be required.

Seems logical to me---A reasonably competent human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment