Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Who's That Knocking at My Door?

Door to door sales was a career choice for a fellow political science college grad friend of mine in 1982. He became a lawyer and has an educational system related job in New York State today, but back in the day, my friend was being driven from D.C. to the burbs to knock on doors selling who knows what. Until Al Gore invented the internet the best way to knock on doors was to knock on doors. Today, the door knockers are knocking on our smart phones.

It's a steady stream of offers I'm getting this month. I can go back to school for Photography, an MBA (ya, I want one of those degrees), or even to learn to install replacement windows. Graphic design is an option if it's my passion, which it's not. Medical billing and coding experts must be in demand. I assume they need people to code "Insured" or "Not insured" on medical records. There are 15 positions a person can do from home...provided they have a home.

As my phone continues to "ping" with the alert of another email I glance at my door and wonder what it would look like outside if these offers were being delivered by the door to door salesperson. I see a line of people waiting their turn to wrap their knuckles on my wooden baricade.

 Real estate is not my job, it's my career. I enjoy this business and wouldn't miss this opportunity of a lifetime. There is no other service where  life experiences have better prepared me to be helpful to people. When we make it through, and we will, I want to be able to say I was part of the solution, and I hurt no one.

I have a message for the solicitors in general: You can keep on knockin' but you can't come in. I'm riding the storm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment